Friday, October 2, 2009

Hello Hawk Springs!

















Balloon-like the full moon liesurely ascended in the cloudless late afternoon sky above 66 Mountain Wyoming. The landscape is definitely 3D out here south of Hawk Springs, only 20 miles south of Torrington, Wyoming, where I am parked at dear friends, Linda and Larry York's Pet Pals Inc. animal rescue. It is my privilege to help work on some bookkeeping for them on a volunteer basis. Really a beautiful area.
There is free RV camping behind the Long Branch Saloon and Steak House in Hawk Springs and also at Hawk Springs reservoir where you can also fish. The last time I was over the road to the reservoir it was very rough so take care if you are hauling an expensive RV out there.
66 Mountain and Bear Mountain are part of a chain of Bluffs that run from Bridgeport Nebraska, forming such notable landmarks as Court House and Jail House rocks, Chimney Rock near Bayard, Nebraska, Scotts Bluff and Mitchell Pass, the Shepherd's Crook line of Bluffs all south of Gering, Nebraska that go west into Eastern Wyoming and eventually form 66 Mountain and Bear Mountain that bracket Highway 85 north of Cheyenne.


At the base of Scotts Bluff south of Gering, Nebraska, lie some badlands. As a boy my dad and a friend of his found a petrified turtle half buried in the sandstone there. He said they worked and chipped at that turtle for many days but could never dislodge it. Wonder if it was ever dug out of there. Just more proof of Noah's flood! I love to look at these incredible sandstone bluffs and imagine just how God used the receding water to sculpt them.

Our move today went rather swimmingly, too. Only took me six hours from tear down to set up. Of course in between I had to fill up with diesel, air up the tires, dump tanks, buy propane.... Before I started any of it I had bagels and tea with Sandy before I left their place. Great neighbors I will miss. Thanks a million for all of your help, support, and encouragement through times of great loss and sadness Sandy and Joe.

Am thrilled to report the lubricant on the hitch did the trick and it worked like a charm. Love that lubrication disk I put on the kingpin, too. Takes all the dread out of hitching and unhitching the 5th wheel. Thank you Hitches Galore of Scottsbluff, Nebraska.

The winds were only blowing 35 mph today and temperatures were in 50's! Tonight it is to get down to 25. It is already 37 as I post this and the furnace is on in the 5th wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment