Wednesday, February 19, 2014

EZ-Snap Do It Yourself RV Skirt Winter 2013-14 Results

Third winter results for the EZ-Snap Direct 's RV Skirt after enduring seven contiguous days straight of below freezing days and sub zero nights (e.g day highs -1F, nighttime lows -19F) in December, three days straight in January and so far seven days straight of below freezing highs and sub zero lows in February.

 (See my previous posts for my experiences of the ease of designing and putting on the skirt).
     I had a water line freeze up the second night of the December cold streak and the second night of the February cold streak but no problems at all during the January cold streak possibly because there was little or no wind at that time and the low temperatures were not as cold. December and February there was a cold wind blowing so the wind chills were -40 F even though the December actual low was only -17 F and the February lows to date were -19 F with -40 F wind chills again. The January cold streak lows were -12 F actual temperature without the wind chill so I had no problems with freeze ups in January at all.
     My little ceramic disk space heater that I used the prior two years in my basement had given out last fall and I did not replace it this year. I think if I had the small space heater going on low blowing on the water line inlet into the heated basement my water lines would not have frozen up.
     Both times the water freeze-ups occurred about 4-5:00 a.m. when the temps get the coldest. My rig is manufactured stupidly so that the water tank is blocked off from the heated basement and the water line freezes between the tank and the hole where it enters the heated basement (the water tank itself has a heat blanket as do my other holding tanks). The small space heater blowing on low toward that aperture where the lines come into the heated basement probably would have solved the problem on those coldest nights.
      Winds have been extremely high and continuous most of this fall and winter. We clocked one gust of 110 mph on my neighbors weather station. My skirt could be made more airtight (I'm not mechanical or very handy at all) by the addition of some simple foam rubber insulating strips above where the snaps are and I left a gap under my staircase which I need to close up with the addition of some of EZ-Snap's RV skirting Velcro that will stick to the fabric.

 The industrial grade Velcro I use around the rig did not stay on the fabric and let the flaps underneath my staircase gap a bit this year (it did last for a couple of years though!).
     If you have any questions or comments I'd be happy to answer them if I can. However the Experts at EZ-Snap can probably give you all the information you need. Another winter possibility would be to add some of the thin styrofoam type sheets of insulation underneath the skirting. I got this tip from EZ-Snap a couple of years ago. I haven't tried this as I wanted to find out just how well the skirt would work by itself since I wanted to keep the operation as simple as possible and didn't want to tote around a bunch of insulation whenever I moved.  Before I had the skirt the RV froze up when I was in Cheyenne, Wyoming with a low of about +14F.  The addition of the RV skirt has been a very great success as far as my experience of Wyoming winter time RVing goes, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to winter RV in colder climates.

No comments:

Post a Comment